basil pesto linguine

Pesto has always been one of my favorites but this dish in particular was inspired by a meal my husband and I had in Genova, Italy on our honeymoon. We sadly only spent one night in Genova, we used it as a stop over on our way to the Italian Riviera and ended up being so sorry that we didn't just stay and finish our honeymoon there. It really was a wonderful little city.

The restaurant that we had this meal in was more of a house. It was one of those wonderful places where the only staff members were immediate family and there was no menu. You just ate whatever they were cooking that night. 

I had never thought of putting potatoes or green beans into pasta before but it was one of the best meals of my life. I've been making this ever since. Try it, you'll be surprised at how wonderful it is.
  
Ingredients: 

  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano or Romano cheese
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/3 cup pine nuts
  • 2-3 medium sized garlic cloves, minced
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • 2-3 cups fresh basil leaves 
  • 4 yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1 inch squares
  • 1-2 cups green beans, cleaned
  • 1 pound linguine
First boil the potatoes and green beans together in a pot until tender, about 15-20 minuets. Set aside. Start a pot of boiling , salted water for your linguine while you make the pesto. 
For the pesto combine the basil in with the pine nuts, pulse a few times in a food processor.  Add the garlic, pulse a few times more.
 Add the olive oil. Stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula. Add the grated cheese and pulse again until blended. Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. 
Simply cook the linguine, drain, and put back in the pot adding the pesto and the potatoes and beans. Toss together gently and serve with fresh grated Parmesan cheese. 

And don't forget to enter my GIVEAWAY for a $20 dollar gift card

Photobucket





2 comments:

Heather - Hopelessly Flawed said...

I make my own pesto as well and I love it! I've never seen a pasta-and-potatoes recipe, though. Ironically, I blogged about my love of carbs yesterday, so this is clearly right up my alley! Adding to my must-try list. Thanks!

Kymmie said...

Oh, I'm loving your blog - thanks for visiting mine. I'm now officially a stalker! (And I'll be trying out your recipes too - yum!) xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...