Natchitoches Meat Pies

Obviously I am totally obsessed with making pies. I L*O*V*E pies!!! I love sweet and savory, fruit and meat! YUM! 
So, I've been wanting to make meat pies for a long time but wanted to make sure I got them just right. Since my hubby is a southern boy, born and raised in New Orleans I decided on spicy Nachitoches meat pies. 
They turned out A*M*A*Z*I*N*G! My husband said they are one of the best things I've EVER made. EVER! Crazy! 
Anyway, I used THIS RECIPE but of course had to make some of my own additions. I have found that beef and potato go really well together. I always use potato in my ground beef tacos and meatballs. So for this recipe I added 2 finely grated potatoes to the meat mixture. It adds an unbelievable extra richness to the meat and adds a wonderful tender moisture. Once it's all cooked up you won't even know the potato is in there, you'll just know it tastes extra good. Try it!!! 
I also added 2 diced carrots to the veggies and quiet a few spices. I added 1 tablespoon of paprika for a smokey flavor. 1 tablespoon of Cayenne for spice and a few shakes of garlic salt. 
I ALWAYS use THIS recipe for my pie crusts and it has never failed me. I love it so much I have it memorized.
I hope you will try these. They really are wonderful. 


Please go take *PEEK* at my lovely GIVEAWAYS. I only feature gorgeous, handmade things here on my blog! I feel so blessed to be able to share this gorgeous stuff with you. Happy Holidays!!!! 




Hanna

25 comments:

Patty said...

These looks soooooo yummy! I'm saving this to make when my husband gets home!

Mommying On The Fly said...

These look delicious... We make something similar in my country called pastelitos... I've improvised and taken liberties with those... (ham and cheese fillings, cheese steak and onions, mozzarella and peperoni,etc..)... Bet that would work with these too.. and they are smaller, and perfect for appetizers.. MAN I'm hungry now.. bwahahahaha

aimymichelle said...

thanks for following me. i'll follow you back. :)

kewkew said...

Those look amazing! I found you through a comment you left at My Tot Learning Time. I am now following you.
Gonna go check out your giveaways now.
Have a great weekend.

Laurie said...

Those look delicious! I am definitely going to try them! I'm your newest follower! Awesome site!

Brenda said...

These pies look absolutely incredible! They look sooooooooo delicious. I love pies too, all kinds. Yum!

Erin @ EKat's Kitchen said...

These look great!!! YUM

Louanne said...

Sometimes I think bloggers share a collective consciousness. I just made a batch of these for our family Christmas party! After flash freezing them on a tray, I just toss them into a freezer bag and bake them as needed.
Yours look so delicious and the crust is super flakey.

alissa4illustration said...

These look yummy!!!!!

I love your blog! I awarded you the Stylish Blogger award http://sugarcookieart.blogspot.com/2010/12/stylish-blog-award.html
Congrats!!

Caren Gittleman said...

ohhhhh myyyyy those look delicious!!!!!

Dee said...

I love Natchitoches meat pies! One of the things I miss most about living away from Louisiana is the food (second to my family of course!). It's not like you can go pick up meat pies or boudin at the store here lol! My sister sells mini meat pies at her restaurant (in New Iberia) and I order them every time I go home! Now I'm craving them lol!

LitLass said...

This looks delicious!

By the way, I love your babywearing pic.

Aimee said...

Thanks for the follow- right back at ya- these look great! Classifiedmom.com

mienkintoshfairie said...

Nice! A fun and delicious recipe that is easy, and one that my family will enjoy. Thanks for the post

Lizzie said...

Wow, Hanna, these look so good! And your photos are amazing! What kind of camera do you use?
:) trish

Tessie of Germany said...

those look wonderful! I am totally jealous of the fab pictures you take I wish mines looked that awesome.

slommler said...

Yum!! They look so good! And thanks for the tip about adding potatoes. I would have never thought that.
Hugs
SueAnn

Crystal said...

Thank you for stopping by. I am now a follower.

ropcorn said...

That looks so good! I'm no master at making pies, but those don't seem too hard to make :-)

Pennie said...

Thanks for stopping by. I'm a follower now. These look yummy! Love your blog!

nic said...

ah! I LOVE Natchitoches Meat Pies! I never realized you were connected with lousiana! Did you live here too? I just saw on your about me that you 'ran from Katrina together'. If you like these, you should come back and visit Natchitoches for the Christmas Light Festival...that's where Hubs & I got engaged...after the fireworks, sitting under the moonlight next to the river and all of the Christmas lights. I'm such a geek. I love finding out blog friends are from/connected to here. Happy Sunday!

nic said...

ps. I LOVE your new header!

Candace said...

Thanks so much for sharing the recipe for these meat pies. My husband, a friend and I drove down to Natchitoches a few weeks ago before we moved and had some wonderful Meat Pies and Red Beans and Rice from Lasyone's. Yum!

Fudge Jumbles said...

OMG I lOVE MEAT PIES! I can't wait to try this recipe! Thanks for sharing! I am a new follower from the blog hop. :-) Jeanette

Christine said...

These look totally delicious!!!! My mouth is watering. I can't wait to try it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...