Stewed Lentils

Stewed lentils have always been one of my favorite dishes. It reminds me of my childhood. My mother used to make lentils often. It's a great dish in the winter months also. It's warm and comforting as stew or soup would be. 
I grew up a vegetarian so I always knew this dish without meat but since I have started eating meat I love this dish with bacon, sausage or ground pork.
I was so excited to make this dish yesterday because I hadn't made it in so long and you'll never guess what I did. After I finished making it I put it on simmer, forgot about it, and went shopping with little M. When I came home it wasn't exactly burnt but WAY over done and not exactly edible:( 
So here's the recipe and a couple photos but unfortunately we have no finished product because I ruined it. But I promise if you make this correctly it will come out wonderfully. 

Ingredients:
1 onion, diced
4 toes of garlic, minced
3 carrots. diced
3 stalks of celery, diced
4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 large can of whole peeled tomatoes (San Marzano if you can find them, mash and separate with hands)
4 cups of lentils
1 pound of ground pork (or one package of bacon or hot sausage)
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 quarts chicken stock

 Recipe: 
Saute garlic, onion, and ground pork in olive oil for about 10 min. Then add carrots, celery, and potato and cook until just a little tender then add tomatoes, chicken stock and lentils. Salt and pepper to taste. Now simmer for about 30 minuets or until lentils are just tender. 
Please don't go run errands and forget about it like I did:)




 
Please go take *PEEK* at my lovely GIVEAWAYS. I only feature gorgeous, handmade things here on my blog! I feel so blessed to be able to share this gorgeous stuff with you. Happy Holidays!!!! 



Hanna

11 comments:

Lil' Momma @ Five in Training for HIM said...

Thanks for joining my blog follow. I am adding you to mine also. Great blog, love the homemade items. They are beautiful. Funny thing you typed so fast on your comment your link came in strange. I clicked on it and it took me so some survey. Strange. But I found you through your profile. :^) Off to browse your blog! Merry Christmas.

Sera Pie said...

This sounds delightful!

whatsanitasdeal said...

thanks for following my blog. I'm now a gfc follower of yours! you look great in your pregnancy photos!! Congrats to your family. Happy holidays!

Lindsay said...

This looks delicious! Have a great weekend girl :)

Tessie said...

This sounds fab! I always looking for new things that I can introduce to my family with limited fussing :)

Kelly said...

Sounds yummy and super healthy!

~Laura said...

Sounds yummy!

PoetessWug said...

It sounds delicious!!...maybe you shoulkd call it "Don-t-Run-An-Errand Lentil Stew"! :-))

Andrea said...

Thanks for the follow :) Your blog looks interesting and I look forward to reading more.

mom2girls said...

I am folling back from the blog hop, thanks so much from comming and checking me out, this recipe looks great, I will have to try it this week! It is so wintery right now.
http://mom2girls-thisishowitgoes.blogspot.com/
I am off to check out your contests now :)

mienkintoshfairie said...

Lentils are yummy! The addition of ground sausage will add so much flavor. Going to try this recipe out soon

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...