Brown Butter Apple Pie with Cheddar Cheese Crust

This was probably one the best pies I've ever eaten! It is extremely flavorful, rich, and decadent. The combination of the rich, sweet apples and the sharp cheddar cheese is divine!!!
I first heard mention of this pie on Rachel Hollis' blog {My Chic Life} and could not wait to try it! She took a cooking lesson at the bakery {Cake Monkey} and this what she made. By the way, Rachel's blog is amazing and inspirational, plus she is celebrity wedding planner!  Hello. Awesome.  You should go check her out for sure. 
As soon I heard the words apple pie and cheddar cheese crust I immediately knew this was a pie for me and why the heck hadn't I thought of that myself and years ago.
Well, anyway I could not wait to get started. You can find the original post and recipe {HERE} 
The recipe calls for Apple Cider Jelly which you can't just find at any old store. I had asked Rachel about it and she gave me the name of the company to purchase it or she suggested you could use an apple cider syrup and cook it down a bit to get the same effect but I wanted this pie ti be perfect so I decided to order 4 jars of it. The name of the company is Woods Cider Mill and you can find their website {HERE}.
The cheddar cheese crust that so intrigued me is top secret so I was left to my own devices to come up with one. This is what I did. This recipe will yield 2 pie crusts, enough for one double crust pie.

ingredients:
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup vegetable shorting (chilled)
1 teaspoon salt 
about 1/2-1 cup cold water
1 cup finely grated aged, sharp, white cheddar

Recipe:
In a large bowl mix flour and salt. Now cut in vegetable shortening and mix with a pastry cutter until chunky. Mix in finely grated cheese and begin adding water very slowly while mixing. As soon as it comes together divide it into 2 even sections, make a ball and wrap with plastic wrap. Now refrigerate at least 30 minuets.
Once you are ready to use you can form into discs and roll out with a rolling pin on a floured surface.




Pretty much the most amazing apple pie ever! Just sayin'


Hanna


17 comments:

Lindsay said...

I wish I could make a homemade pie. YUM! Look at your little helper in her bumbo. What a sweet baby girl :)

renee kristine said...

oooooh myyyyy

Kristin said...

this looks incredible! ...i bet that crust would also be really good with a potpie! *dies*

Kristin said...

oh, yea! hanna, swing by mangia mondays & link this bad boy up!

http://delightfullydowling.blogspot.com/2011/04/mangia-mondays-5-banana-crumb-muffins.html

slommler said...

Oh my gosh! Does that pie look yummy!! Thanks now I am drooling all over the keyboard!! Ha!!
Hugs
SueAnn

PoetessWug said...

Okay!!! I'm gonna have to try this one...for sure!! :-)

My Mommymoon said...

...seriously it is amazing. The store bought pie that I have in my fridge does not come close...

Following back from My Mommymoon

Monkey and The Bug said...

This looks so delish!

Melissa said...

This pie looks wonderful! ~ now Im hungry for apple pie... =)
~Melissa

mienkintoshfairie said...

You have combined 2 classics: cheddar cheese and apples! This looks so yummy ^_^

Val said...

Salivating is an understatement!!! WOW

karen ~ lillybelle Custom Designs said...

This looks so delicious!

Kristy said...

Wow, looks incredible! What a cutie pa-tootie in the background too.

Tatiana said...

Oh my goodness! My tummy needs to have a piece of that pie. Or maybe the whole thing. And the babe helping you out = precious!

Robyn Burke said...

Oh my gosh!! The pie sounds amazing. Love the picture of your little one watching you roll the dough! I will have to try this and will have to be even more creative because I am gluten intolerant. But cheese and apples are one of my all time favorite snacks. (with a glass of wine to boot!)

Carla said...

The pie looks divine, but what I really like is THE BABY! Sittin' on the counter, takin' it all in. I love babies on the counter, or wherever I was, that's where they were. They were all easy, too, all three of them. Because they got to watch Mom make pie-that's the secret to an easy baby. You heard it here first.

sartorial diary said...

omg i have been craving apple pie all day long!
your recipe looks delish!thanks for sharing!
and fyi,your baby is adoooorable!

http://thesartorialdiary.blogspot.com/

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...