Fried Chicken and Buttermilk Cheddar Biscuits

I have never made fried chicken until now but it is something I have always longed to be able to make well. For my first attempt I would say it came out GREAT!! My husband agreed. In fact when I was interrogating him about what I could have done better, as I always do, poor guy, he couldn't come up with a single thing.
The biscuits were also DIVINE! Find that recipe {HERE} I also made some honey butter to go along with the biscuits which is very easy. You simply temper about 1/4 stick of butter and mix in 2 tablespoons of honey!

Ingredients:
1 whole chicken cut into pieces OR 3 large bone in breasts
3 cups oil for frying
4 cups buttermilk
1 cup BBQ sauce
2 eggs
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
3 cups flour
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cayenne

Recipe:
Marinate chicken in buttermilk for 4-24 hours (I did 24 and it was fabulous).After the chicken has marinated you can use the same buttermilk for dipping and frying simply remove the chicken and set aside while you add BBQ sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and 2 beaten eggs to the buttermilk. Now put chicken back in buttermilk mixture. In a shallow dish mix together flour, pepper, salt, garlic powder, onion powder and cayenne. Heat your 3 cups cooking oil in a deep sided frying pan or dutch oven to 350 degrees. If you don't have a thermometer just heat the oil on medium high and  flick a little flour in whenever you think it's ready and see if it bubbles, if so, it's ready. 
Now take one piece of chicken out of the buttermilk and coat it thoroughly with the flour mixture. Dredge each piece AT LEAST twice in both the buttermilk and flour. This is really messy but you will get a very nice thick crispy coating if you do this.
Next carefully place chicken in oil with thongs and fry 10 minuets. Now flip chicken and fry 13-15 more minuets. Remove chicken carefully with thongs and pat off excess oil with a paper towel. 
ENJOY





Hanna

14 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh my. Feel free to drop a dish of that amazingness off at my house any day!

Lindsay said...

THE ULTIMATE comfort food. YUM!

Jacalyn @ rmebathproducts.com said...

I have been thinking of trying some fried chicken. I made it once but it was not the best. Maybe I will try your recipe because your chicken sure looks yummy!

Hugs,
Jacalyn

Breann said...

Hear that noise? That's my body gaining 10 pounds from just reading this! YUM!

PoetessWug said...

Yum yum!! I'm a chicken fryer from waaaay back. The only "trick" I tell people when they're generally making chicken is to lay out and season all of your chicken individually. It takes a little longer than adding the seasonings to the flour, but it makes the world of difference!...And I think your honey butter idea is superb! I love butter and honey on my biscuits, but I never thought of putting them together!! Brilliant!

Jess said...

Comfort food! My mouth is watering.

Amy said...

This looks AMAZING!!! I am trying your pot pies tonight, so will keep you posted. :) I don't have little pie tins, so will use just one big one, can't wait as we all love pot pie.

And you look stunning in your wedding pic...and your ring is GORGEOUS. :) Just let me know when you want to do that giveaway. :)

xoxo

Heather Frost said...

The food looks amazing!! OMG now I'm hungry lol

http://heatherfrostx.blogspot.com/

Jenni @ Story of My Life said...

Omg. DROOL.

Burke & Chelle said...

This looks to die for.... It's makin me sooo hungry.. I'm going to have to try them for sure!

Candace said...

I have never ever made fried chicken. I've never really had to since I lived in the south almost all of my life and when I didn't, I had a southern cook with me who fried it for me. Now that I'm in New England, I'm going to have to do it myself, I think. Yours looks absolutely perfect and so do your biscuits. Great job!! Is it wrong to want this for breakfast? :)

Madison said...

This looks amazing!! Following back from Keeping You in Stitches :)

MommyMeagan said...

WOW-that looks amazing. Mmm....yum.

mienkintoshfairie said...

Comfort food! I can't lose weight looking at this, lol! Dinner at your house ^_^

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...