Gnocchi in Mascarpone Cream sauce with Peas and Pancetta

Ingredients for gnocchi:
2 large russet potatoes
1 egg beaten
1/2-3/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt

Ingredients for Mascarpone Cream sauce:
1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
1 cup cream
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 green onions sliced
1/4 pound thinly sliced pancetta
1 cup frozen peas
3 toes for garlic through a garlic press

Recipe for Gnocchi:
Bake potatoes @400 degrees for 1 hour or until tender. Remove and cool. Next cut the potatoes in half and scoop the insides into a bowl. Now add the salt, egg and flour (start with a 1/2 cup and add more as needed) The dough ball should not be sticky. Add flour until manageable. Knead for a few minuets, separate into 4 sections and roll into a thin tube on a floured surface.  when the roll is about about 1/2 inch thick stop and slice. You may texturize your gnocchi with a gnocchi paddle or a fork. This will help the sauce stick to the dumplings better but it's not necessary. I chose not to for this batch. 
Bring a salted pot of water to a boil and cook gnocchi 2-3 minuets. Cook it in small batches. You should have about 3-4 batches. As soon as the gnocchi floats to the top of the water scoop it out with a handheld strainer so you can reuse the same water for all the batches. 

Recipe for Sauce:
Cook pancetta on medium/high heat until done, remove and chop; set aside. Saute green onions and garlic in the pork grease for about a minuet, then add the cream, mascarpone, and tomato paste. Bring to a simmer and add peas and pancetta. Let simmer a few minuets. Add gnocchi directly into sauce when ready. Enjoy!



This recipe has a special place in my heart! My husband and I met when I was 17 and we became fast friends. We remained very good friends for about 7 years prior to dating and during those years my nickname was always "gnocchi" My husband said I reminded him of a little potato dumpling so that's what he always called me. Luckily I thought it was cute and gnocchi happens to be one of my favorite foods. 

Anyway, about 3 years into our courtship my husband surprised me with this engraved locket. I love it to pieces and wear it all the time.
 It reads,

 "Gnocchi, I always knew you were the one" 

About 2 years later we got married. I just thought I'd share a little backround on this special meal.
Once in the first year we were dating, I tried to make gnocchi for my husband, then boyfriend, and it was a disaster. We had to go out to eat after I ruined it beyond repair! So I figuered I'd give it another shot! 



I hope you'll give this a try! It seems daunting but I promise you this is really easy to make and it's unbelievably delicious.


Hanna

13 comments:

Monica/Mrs. Darcy said...

What a sweet story! Thank you for sharing!

A Little R&R said...

yay!!!!! I finally get the recipe. *grin* I love the story and the necklace is PRICELESS!!! I can't wait to try this recipe out. No more store-bought gnocchi!!!

MishMish (Hanna) said...

What a great story...that is so sweet!!!

Lindsay said...

This is so sweet! What a fancy dish :)

Breann said...

Oh Hanna, time for another talk about what this does to me when I am hungry at my desk...

Desiree said...

Very Sweet story and I am excited to try another one of your recipes, you make it look so easy and delicious!!!!

M.M.E. said...

What an adorable story! I'm such a huge fan of gnocchi but I've never made it myself before. I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend though! Thank you so much for this recipe!

Mama Spaghetti said...

What a cute story! That looks fabulous!

Whenever I see the word Gnocchi, I can't help but read it as "Guh No Chi..." which is how I used to say it as a kid.

Keenly Kristin said...

LOVE the story...and the locket! How sweet!!

Kristin :)

Amy said...

DARLING story. And I'm super impressed that you make the gnocchi from scratch!! AWesome and thank you for sharing! xoxo

Val said...

Be still my heart!!! YUM

Mama Ash said...

OMG, I love this post :)
I'm also hungry now....where's that bag of chips!

Stephanie said...

After my adventure in making my own pasta I'm totally up for trying this - it looks delish!!! Plus peas, cream & pancetta are pretty much the best combo in the world.

-Stephanie
henry  happened

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...