Inspiration

Well, I managed to survive my first full time week back at work. Luckily, once I am trained I will only be working 2 twelve hour shifts a week. I will also be working nights. So as a nurse that means 7pm to 7am. Working nights is hard and it's not my favorite thing to do but at least I can breathe easy knowing my precious babies are at home snug in their beds.
My last week as a stay at home mom was really tough on me. There were a lot of tears. Being a stay at home mom has been by far the hardest and most beautiful thing I have ever done. If we had money I would stay home forever  making a beautiful life for my sweet babies but unfortunately we don't.
That being said, I forgot how much I love being a nurse. Being a nurse in my opinion is very similar to being a mother. It's a very noble profession. It's grueling, it's stressful, it's emotional and you often go unrewarded. However, the rewards you do receive are the kind that will change you forever. To be present for people's most tragic and most joyous event's in their lives is a true honor and one that I cherish.
I forgot how much I love being a nurse.  This prayer inspires me to be a better person and a better nurse.


  People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered.  
Forgive them anyway.

            If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives.  
Be kind anyway.
            If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies.  Succeed anyway.
           If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you.  
Be honest and sincere anyway.
            What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight.  
Create anyway.
            If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous. 
 Be happy anyway.
            The good you do today, will often be forgotten.  
Do good anyway.
         Give the best you have, and it will never be enough.  
Give your best anyway.
         In the final analysis, it is between you and God.  It was never between you and them anyway.

-this version is credited to Mother Teresa

11 comments:

The SPANGLER said...

What a lovely post... so well written (and I love that prayer)

*~The Last Family: Nick Felicia and Rylee~* said...

I am a nurse as well i work in the ER and i love every min of it. Nut i wish so badly that i could be a stay at home mommy!! One day maybe we both can!!

Lindsay said...

Way to go momma! I admire your passion! We need more people like you in this world!

Michelle said...

I love that poem. At least if you have to work, you love your job! Good Luck going back.

Lisa said...

Hanna, best wishes on going back to work and finding balance with motherhood. It's a wonderful professional for a mom, even if you're a tired mom! And I so needed to read about how much you love to be a nurse, because I've been working getting into a nursing program by taking pre-req classes the last couple of years and the whole process seems daunting sometimes, financially and time-wise. Your words are the encouragement I needed to hear! (At this rate I'll be a nurse when my firstborn is off to college himself!) Be well and enjoy your time with your precious babes, and your time at work.

m&msmommy said...

I am SO glad to read that you saw the "bright" side of this week and being able to return to work (although, of course, you'd rather be home, but as they say, every cloud has a silver lining! :))

I LOVE that prayer! I actually have it up at my desk at work. Great minds think alike! ;)

Have a great weekend friend! Congrats on the continued weight loss. I read your FB updates and always smile as your numbers drop, but I don't always comment because I wouldn't want you to think I'm some sort of stalker/weirdo! ;)

Happy Friday! :)

Mindie Hilton said...

I respect nurses, I know how hard you work. I went to school to teach but left teaching and eventually ended up working as an assistant for a physical therapist. It was always busy, sometimes fun, sometimes difficult when patients were not happy with their program or progress. For my family financially it was better for me to stay home and let my husband pull an over time once a week. I thought I would go crazy, staying at home all the time, but I have fallen in love with it over the last year.

I wanted to say thanks again for posting my give away. I shared the link on Somday Craft's Give Away link up. I will try and get the word out. Have a great weekend.

Karen Wilson ~ lillybelle designs said...

Hanna ~ That was so beautiful! Save this post or print it out and frame it, but hang on to it, the words, the heartfelt meaning behind it, so that you can share this with Milton and Ginger when they are older. Their love for you will be magnified by a thousand!! Enjoy your weekend... XOXO

Tiffany said...

I love that poem!

I just started back working full time last week also. After almost 6 years of being a stay at home mom, it was definitely hard to be away from my kiddos.

Katherines Corner said...

a lovely post, well done, Big Hugs!

mienkintoshfairie said...

I love that poem! And it's cool, and noble that you're a nurse. My great aunt is an RN, and she said that it is a tough profession. I might not be a mom, but I still understand how you feel. But, i'm sure that it feels good to be part of the grind once again! ^_^

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...