Hummingbird Cake

Lately I have been seeing Hummingbird cake everywhere and I have been dying to make it.
It was amazing!
It's kind of like a banana bread or a carrot cake but with a more complex flavor profile.
it was moist, moist, moist!!! SO DELICIOUS. I did not put icing on it because the cake itself is very sweet and very rich. I thought the icing might be a bit overwhelming but it is included here in the recipe in case you want to try it.  I thought the cake was perfect by itself.

Ingredients

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 2 cups diced bananas
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 4 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a large cookie sheet with sides, or an 11 x 17 inch jelly roll pan.
  2. Combine flour, white sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Add eggs and oil; stir until moistened. Do not beat. Stir in bananas, 2 teaspoons vanilla, pineapple, and 1 cup pecans.
  3. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until done. Cool on a wire rack.
  4. Beat 1/2 cup pecans, cream cheese, butter or margarine, confectioners sugar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla together until light and fluffy. Spread over the top of the cooled cake.
Adorable antique knife found {HERE}


Hanna

10 comments:

Melynda said...

That is a rich cake, great idea to bake it in a loaf pan. I love that knife! What a great find.

Lindsay said...

Are you serious??? This looks AMAZING! :)

Kittie Howard said...

Humingbird cake is toooo delicious for words...thanks for the recipe, yay! And, girl, I can't thank you enough for the Crawfish Monica recipe. I'm drooling just thinking about it. It's difficult to get plain ole crawfish in Northern Virginia but I can use shrimp. And, I used to be able to get Gulf shrimp but the grocery stopped carrying them, boo! hiss!

Amanda said...

That looks delicious! I think making it in a loaf pan and skipping the frosting would make it fantastic for tossing in the freezer for when baby comes too. Thanks!

Toesthattwinkle! said...

I saved this recipe! Im going to try it!

PoetessWug said...

Ooooo! YUM!! I never heard of hummingbird cake before, but the ingredients look similar to my 'dump cake'! And the 'dump cake' will make you want to lick and eat your fingers!! LOL So, I'm sure this must be good too...Thanks for sharing.

Robyn Burke said...

Another recipe to try!! I will have to experiment with gluten free flour and I will have to wait until hubby either fixes or replaces the dead oven... BUT, hummingbird cake just sounds toooooo yummy to ignore!!

Anon*RN said...

Perfect timing - I was going to make banana bread today! Great recipe, mixes up easily and I've got it in the oven right now...smells AMAZING!!

Maria@BubblegumandDuctTape said...

oh my goodness, that looks delicious. I've never had it but it sure looks good. Thanks for the recipe, can't wait to make it.

kayni said...

it's my first time to hear about this cake. thank you for the recipe. i'd love to try this.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...