Chocolate ice cream cake


My wonderful husband's birthday was last week and he is a H*U*G*E ice cream fan so when I asked him what kind of a cake he wanted me to make he said an ice cream cake. 
So, I went to work. This is what I did.

First you will need 2 spring pans. The one's I used happen to be 7". I like this size because it's a little smaller than the regular 9" but any size spring pan will do.

Line the bottom with wax paper

Temper your ice cream and scoop into spring pan. (I used a pint for each layer)

Next cover the ice cream with wax paper and place in freezer to set. You should make 3 disks if making a 4 layer cake. Once hard, unlock spring pan and pop out ice cream disk. Place in a large zip lock bag in freezer until ready to use. 

Bake your favorite kind of cake in 2 spring pans (the same size you used to make your ice cream disks.) Be sure to spray them generously with non stick cooking oil. Once they are completely cool, remove from pan and slice length wise to make 2 cake disks from each cake. This will give you 4 layers.

Next, slice off the top hump of the cake so all the layers will lye completely flat once stacked. Now place the 4 cake disks into the freezer as well. Once frozen you will be ready to assemble your cake. 
The final step before assembly is to make your icing or ganache. I used {THIS}recipe for chocolate ganache frosting and it was perfect. 


Place one layer of cake down and frost.

next place one ice cream disk.

frost and repeat

Now quick, get it back in the freezer before it melts!!!

Once the initial assembly of the cake has taken place and it has frozen solid again, you can frost the outside of the cake but don't try to do it while your assembling it because the cake will melt. You will not have enough time. 




18 comments:

Lindsay said...

I've been waiting patiently for this post ;) DELICIOUS! And GORGEOUS! YUM!

buriedcarrots said...

This looks amazing, Hanna. Very nice photos and tutorial as well! I'm sure it was delicious- where are the pictures of little Milton with ice cream cake all over his face???

Tiff said...

I know I always say this: Yummy! For future reference, my bday is March 14th! :)

A Daft Scots Lass said...

Job well done. It looks amazing and I'll bet it tasted even better!

PoetessWug said...

I don't celebrate birthdays, but I so appreciate knowing how to make an ice cream cake. I always wondered how that was done. Now I know!! :-)

Sarah @ Scissors and a Whisk said...

Oh my gosh. This looks orgasmic.

I'm SURE your hubs enjoyed it and appreciated your hard work :D

McKenzie said...

Sounds and looks absolutely delicious! I bet your hubby loved it!!

Nicole said...

Looks yummy but a lot of work!

And I'll pose you the same question others pose me, how do you make all this food and still lose weight :)

Char said...

Oh my!! That looks amazing!!!

Val said...

My heart is racing with pure joy over this.......

sophieandmomma said...

hehe I love it!

QUESTION: Were you able to do the three layers of icecream in that pan?? Or did you do it 3x one at a time?

Nichol said...

Oh my this would be perfect for kids with summer birthdays. I may have to make for my son yum!

Melynda said...

WOW! I should make this for Honey for his birthday, the man loves his sweets! Thanks for the lesson, I appreciate it.

marina {yummy mummy} said...

That cake looks INSANELY good! Brava!

Heather @ REOlisticRenovation said...

This could not be any cuter!

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

What a wonderful looking ice cream cake. It sounds delicious and I love the cute pennant flags you put on top. So cute! I wanted to invite you to come over and share your recipe at These Chicks Cooked Recipe Spotlight today. Have a great day :)
Katie

Lisa said...

Yum, nothing like two treats in one for the ultimate indulgence. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog till tomorrow night and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your cake up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/07/sweets-for-saturday-23.html

Vimitha Anand said...

I would surely die for such a gorgeous looking treat. Belated wishes to ur husband

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...