Old Fashioned Pineapple Upside Down Cake



INGREDIENTS
Topping:*
  • 1 cup of firmly packed dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 1 can (20 oz) of pineapple slices
Cake:
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 6 Tbsp cake flour
  • 6 Tbsp of ground almonds (from about 2 oz of whole almonds)
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 3/4 cups of sugar
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
  • 4 large eggs
  • 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup sour cream

METHOD

1 Start by making the caramel topping. Take brown sugar and butter and combine and melt in a saucepan on medium heat until sugar dissolves and the mixture is bubbly, this should take several minutes. (After sugar melts, don't stir.) Pour mixture into a 10 inch diameter stick-free cake pan with 2 inch high sides. Arrange pineapple slices in a single layer ontop of the caramel mixture.
2 Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Whisk the flours, almonds, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the sugar and butter together until light. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Beat in the vanilla. Add dry ingredients alternately with sour cream in 2 additions each, beating well after each addition. Pour cake batter over caramel and pineapple in pan.
3 Bake cake until tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes. Cool cake in pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Turn cake out onto a platter. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 12 to 14 servings.




PLEASE make this cake. It is extraordinary!!!!! 
My hubby and I were both amazed by how wonderful and unique it was. I will definitely make this AGAIN and AGAIN!!! 

Well, I may not see you for the rest of the weekend. We are off on our very first road trip with both kids (YIKES) Some of our dear friends are getting married a few hours away. Wish us luck. We not only have both babies but as my husband is a musician, he is going to be playing for the reception and I also made my very first batch of wedding favors in the form of miniature pies in jars for 30 people. So we are toting 2 babies, a drum set and 30 pies. I hope we make it!! 

Have a lovely weekend my friends!

10 comments:

PoetessWug said...

Yowzer!!! I hope you get there with all of your pies, drum set, babies and nerves intact!! :-)

Lindsay said...

Ill say a prayer for your road trip :) HUGS Girly! This cake looks AMAZING!

Val said...

You will make it....perfectly. I love me some old fashion pineapple goodness!

Flos caeli said...

That looks extremely yummy ^^ I may try this recipe :)

Melynda said...

Pineapple upside-down in a bundt, it is beautiful! Have a great weekend!

Melissa said...

Hope everything turns out well at your friends wedding! =)
Im sure that everyone will just love your pies!
I love pineapple upside down cake, yours looks wonderful!

Melissa Jo said...

That is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Initially, I was thinking, eh, I really won't make this cake, so fattening, more work than I want to do...and then -- THEN -- you implored me to "please make this cake" and you got me. I'm totally going to make this for the next party I go to.

You get me every time!!
Kristin :)

Anonymous said...

Initially, I was thinking, eh, I really won't make this cake, so fattening, more work than I want to do...and then -- THEN -- you implored me to "please make this cake" and you got me. I'm totally going to make this for the next party I go to.

You get me every time!!
Kristin :)

Yummy Mummy said...

THANK YOU for your sweet comment on Yummy Mummy. I'm so happy to have found your beautiful blog! This cake looks amazing. My family adores pineapple upside down cake. Your blog is unbelievably cute. I love the design with the whisks at the bottom of the posts! I'm following now (obviously!) :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...