Fresh Fig Pizza

I L*O*V*E figs. I saw these fresh black figs at the grocery this week and bought them with not the slightest idea what I would make. Then I thought PIZZA!!! And I knew it would come out amazing and it did.

I have used {THIS}recipe for pizza dough from Closet Cooking several times and had success.  
I added garlic, butter sauce for the base then topped it with mozzarella cheese, Gorgonzola cheese,  bacon, caramelized onion and fresh fig. It turned out perfect, a wonderful combination of flavors, perfect for balancing each other out.

For the pizza I made all the topping ahead of time and set them aside until I had the dough ready. You can cook the bacon is a skillet and use some of the bacon grease to caramelize the onions afterwards; extra delicious! 

Ingredients:
4 1/2 cups bread flour
1 3/4 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon instant yeast
1/4 cup olive oil
1 3/4 cups water (ice cold)
1 tablespoon sugar
cornmeal (or semolina flour) for dusting

Directions:
1. Mix the flour, salt and yeast in a large bowl.
2. Add the oil, water and sugar and mix until it forms a sticky ball of dough.
3. Knead on a clean surface for 5-7 minutes adding flour if it is too wet or water if it is too dry.
4. Cut the dough into three pieces and form them into balls.
5. Place the dough balls on a pan, spray them with oil and cover them with plastic.
6. Place the dough in the fridge and let it rest over night or up to three days.
7. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and form it into discs. Lightly flour the discs, spray them with oil, cover them with parchment paper and let them rest for 2 hours.
8. Flour (or oil) your hands and lay the dough across your knuckles. Lightly bounce the dough on your knuckles, turning it and stretching it until it reaches the size that you want.
9. Place the dough on a baking pan dusted with cornmeal.
10. Add your pizza toppings.
11. Bake in a preheated 500F oven until golden brown on top, about 5-10 minutes.



Hanna

6 comments:

Lindsay @ Delighted Momma said...

I would have never thought to put figs on a pizza! Surprisingly this look good though...I am sure it brings out a different flavor of the figs when they are baked.

XO Lindsay

PoetessWug said...

This is a pizza I would have never thought of making, but would love to taste!

Marina @ Yummy Mummy said...

A fresh fig pizza has been on my list of things to make this summer. Thanks for the reminder with your delicious looking pizza!
I featured your ice cream cake as a favorite from last week's linky!

Mara said...

wow this sounds delicious!!

Amy said...

I LOVE figs soooo much, but not ONE store around me sells them!!!! This looks delicious.

Lindsay said...

Hanna this looks AMAZING!!! Miss you my friend!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...