Homemade Hostess Cupcakes


My Husband's Favorite Childhood Treat
Cake
3 ounces fine-quality semisweet chocolate
1 1/2 cups hot brewed coffee
3 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch process)
2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 tsp salt
3 eggs
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups well-shaken buttermilk
3/4 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 300°F. and line cup cake liners. This recipe will make 48 cupcakes so half it if you don't want to feed an army Original recipe for cake found {HERE}

Finely chop chocolate and in a bowl combine with hot coffee. Let mixture stand, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.

Into a large bowl sift together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In another large bowl with an electric mixer beat eggs until thickened slightly and lemon colored. Slowly add oil, buttermilk, vanilla, and melted chocolate mixture to eggs, beating until combined well. Add sugar mixture and beat on medium speed until just combined well.

Divide batter between cupcake liners and bake for 40 min.
Cool layers completely in pans on racks. Once they are cool remove cupcake centers with a small cylinder shaped cookie cutter and set aside. Once they are filled you can use half of the cylinder shaped cake to top the cupcake so there are no uneven spots. 

For the filling:
1.5 sticks of butter at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup

recipe: combine and beat well. Fill with piping bag and pipe into cupcakes.

For Ganache:
5 ounces semisweet chocolate
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup heavy cream.

recipe: Melt in a saucepan on medium low heat until well combined and smooth. set aside to cool a bit before using. Now simply spoon one tablespoon of ganache on top of each cupcake spread evenly and set in the refrigerator to set when finished. 
I used store bought white cookie icing for the swirls on top. It works GREAT!!!! 

These MUST be served at room temperature!




Hanna

10 comments:

Barbara said...

This is one of my favorite childhood treats too! I'm not sure I'm adventurous to try to make them on my own!

PoetessWug said...

When I saw these my heart went pitter patter. This is the company my hubby has been working for for many years now. I know the chocolate cupcake well!! {By the way, did you know that they actually count exactly how many swirls go on top?! ^_^}

Lindsay said...

This may be my favorite recipe to date! HOW CUTE!

melody-mae said...

one of my all time favorites treats in my lunch! :)

Bonny said...

Oh my these look fabulous! Must try this!

Meghan said...

Oh my gawd. I am dying to try a homemade version of these.

marina {yummy mummy} said...

I would never buy the store-bought version, but would LOVE to eat these homemade ones. Your hubby is a lucky guy!

Char said...

Oh my goodness, can't believe you made these, they look PROFESSIONAL! Of course, most of what you do does anyway :) Go you! And yes, lucky husband :)

Erin said...

just found your blog, i love the recipes! i'm your newest follower!

xo
Erin

pinkandpolos.blogspot.com

Jamie said...

These look amazing! I just found your blog through Casey Weidgand, and my mouth is watering with every post.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...