I Shared this recipe a few weeks ago onthe Shine Project but just thought I'd share it here with you today just in case you needed some last minuet Christmas ideas!!!!
Homemade Red and Green Peppermint Patties
1 can sweetened Condensed milk
5-6 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon peppermint extract
3-5 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons shortening
1 tablespoons red gel food coloring (you can buy this at any craft store but if you only have the kind you buy at the grocery, no worried use about half the little bottle)
1 tablespoon green gel food coloring (same as above)
1. divide the sweetened condensed milk into 2 bowls (about 1/2 cup each if your measuring)
2. add food coloring to each bowl, one red and one green.
3. Add 1/2 a tablespoon of peppermint extract to each bowl and mix.
3. slowly add the powdered sugar one cup at a time to each bowl. You will probably use about 3 cups per bowl. You want this mixture to be firm. You might have to use your hands to mix at the end. Beware it will be quiet sticky.
4. Once it is the right consistency, form little disks or balls. NOTE: because it can be quiet sticky coat your hands and the ball in powdered sugar while trying to form. Place on a wax paper covered baking sheet and put in the freezer
5. once really cold or frozen, microwave your chocolate chips and shorting in 30 second intervals as not to burn it stirring in between until smooth.
6. Take a fork, place the peppermint patty disk on top and dip. Place immediately on a wax paper cookie sheet. Once all are finished place in freezer to set.
7. You may pipe a little melted chocolate on top for decoration. Simple put a small amount of melted chocolate into a zip lock bag and cut a tiny little hole in the corner and pipe away.
ENJOY! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
MERRRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!