Valentine's Day Pretty in Pink Pinwheels

Vaelntine's Day is right around the corner so I thought wemight as well start the inspiration now!!!!
I have becomne obsessed with making pinwheels so this was just another perfect excuse to execute a fabulous, STUNNING cookie! Your sweetheart will adore you!!!
LOVE. LOVE. LOVE.

(This recipe will yield about 18-24 cookies depending on the width cut)

Ingredients

  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon red food coloring.( I highly recommend the gel variety. You can buy it at any craft store. It is much brighter and you can use less)
  • 1 tabklespoon pink food coloring (gel)
  • Powdered sugar, for rolling out dough
  • 3 tablespoons milk
  • 1/8 cup coconut milk for brushing on prior to sprinkles

Directions

Sift together the flour, salt and baking powder and set aside.
Cream butter and sugar together in another large bowl. Add egg, vanilla, milk and beat until incorporated. Gradually add the dry mixture, beating until combined. Remove half of the mixture from the bowl. Add red food coloring, beating until fully combined. You may have to knead the colored dough a bit to get it mixed thoroughly. Now add the alternate color to the other half of dough, beat and knead untik combined. On a sheet of waxed paper, roll out dough to form a large rectangle, about 1/4-inch thick. Repeat this step with the other half of uncolored dough with no food coloring.
 Now very carefully, slide the red dough on top of the white dough and slide the parchment paper out. Trim edges if uneven and patch if necessary. Roll dough into a log, creating a swirl effect. Use the parchment paper as a guide to help you as you roll.  You may also use Saran Wrap. NOTE: do not worry if the dough starts to tear a little when you are rolling it. This is normal. Simply mend it with your fingers as you go along.

Now place a generous amount of sprinkes in a shallow dish, brush the cookie log with some well shaken coconut milk and roll the cookie dough log firmly over the sprinkles until they stick and its covered. Note: the coconut milk is not necessary but will make it much easier for the sprinkles to stick. I have had MUCH great luck getting a lot of sprinkles to stick using the coconut milk.  Wrap tightly with saran wrap and place the dough back in the refrigerator and let chill for 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Slice the dough into 1/2-inch slices and place on a parchment lined sheet tray about 1-inch apart.  Bake fo2 10-15 minuets depending on how thick you sliced the cookies.


HANDMADE HOG LINK UP
Please join me and link up ANYTHING handmade or homemade. I would love to see recipes, DIY projects, party planning, and craft projects of all kinds!!!
And if you didn't make anything this week, no worries, link up an old favorite!!!
There are no rules! Feel free to grab the Handmade Hog button and place it in your post or on your sidebar but it is absolutely NOT required!! EVERYONE is welcome to participate!!! This is just supposed to be a fun way to share your ideas and pick up some new ones !! 
So, please join me! LINK UP!!! I can't wait to see what you have in store!!!

15 comments:

Daisy said...

Wow these are amazing, I love the colors!
Definitely a recipe I will try, thanks for sharing

Becky [This Road Called Vida] said...

These are so fun and pretty!!! Love it! I almost wouldn't wanna eat 'em, they're so perfect for V-Day!

stephanie said...

those look beautiful hanna!!! so bright and cheerful.

Kendall said...

These look delicious, and not to mention too pretty just to be eaten up! Love the colors

tallkendall.blogspot.com

Lorrie said...

I am swooning over these gorgeous cookies! I may have to get brave and try them.

A Daft Scots Lass said...

I posted these on my blog a while back and have yet to try make them.

Steph said...

Hi Hanna, Nice to meet you... Saw your guest post at Susan's blog (Ava Grace's Closet) and had to pop over to say thanks for the recipe on homemade Nutella! My daughter loves that stuff and she wouldn't have any if Costco didn't sell tat stuff in bulk! But now I must try some homemade! The roasted nuts look so yummy... This pinwheel recipe looks delicious too and so beautiful! I look forward to following you now. :) Thanks!!!
-Steph
www.pendantsbysteph.blogspot.com

beti said...

they look adorable! and perfect for valentines day, the colors are so beautiful

Kiwi Ivashkov said...

These look so pretty! This is going to my first experiment with food coloring! :P
I have a doubt, about the the cling wrap..Do I need to use it between the two differently colored doughs or over the final rolled up log (with sprinkles) or all of the above? :O

Char said...

I'm going to give these another try. I tried the Christmas Green & Red pinwheels and had no success, too mushy and wouldn't roll when I tried to roll them. Maybe not enough flour? Also, I used the gel food coloring and my "red" was pretty pink and my "green" was very light. Looked like I was making baby shower cookies, ha!

Charlotte said...

These almost look too pretty to eat! Love these :)

Lindsay said...

What a sweet Valentines treat xoxo

Marina {Yummy Mummy) said...

The pinwheel queen cannot be stopped!

Ana Rita said...

Gorgeous colours!!!Great recipe!!

Kisses,
Rita

http://bembons.blogspot.com

Susan said...

Wow. I remember your Xmas ones...these are just as pretty.
I have to try!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...