Homemade Gnocchi and a Little Love Story

My long run for the week was yesterday morning so I figured I better do a little carb loading!!!! My favorite! 

I ran 12.5 miles and the gnocchi did me right!!!! 

I've shared this recipe before but I love it so much that I just thougtht I'd share it again!!! 
ENJOY!

Ingredients for gnocchi:
2 large russet potatoes
1 egg beaten
1/2-3/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt

Ingredients for Mascarpone Cream sauce:
1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
1 cup cream
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 green onions sliced
1/4 pound thinly sliced pancetta
1 cup frozen peas
3 toes for garlic through a garlic press

Recipe for Gnocchi:
Bake potatoes @400 degrees for 1 hour or until tender. Remove and cool. Next cut the potatoes in half and scoop the insides into a bowl. Now add the salt, egg and flour (start with a 1/2 cup and add more as needed) The dough ball should not be sticky. Add flour until manageable. Knead for a few minuets, separate into 4 sections and roll into a thin tube on a floured surface.  NOTE: You may need to add a tad MORE flour than listed in the recipe because all potatoes will be different sizes. Simply start with the amount listed and slowly add more while kneading until you get to a nice consistency that is NOT too  sticky to handle. It should be easily manageable! when the roll is about about 1/2 inch thick stop and slice. You may texturize your gnocchi with a gnocchi paddle or a fork. This will help the sauce stick to the dumplings better but it's not necessary. I chose not to for this batch. 
Bring a salted pot of water to a boil and cook gnocchi 2-3 minuets. Cook it in small batches. You should have about 3-4 batches. As soon as the gnocchi floats to the top of the water scoop it out with a handheld strainer so you can reuse the same water for all the batches. 

Recipe for Sauce:
Cook pancetta on medium/high heat until done, remove and chop; set aside. Saute green onions and garlic in the pork grease for about a minuet, then add the cream, mascarpone, and tomato paste. Bring to a simmer and add peas and pancetta. Let simmer a few minuets. Add gnocchi directly into sauce when ready. Enjoy!



This recipe has a special place in my heart! My husband and I met when I was 17 and we became fast friends. We remained very good friends for about 7 years prior to dating and during those years my nickname was always "gnocchi" My husband said I reminded him of a little potato dumpling so that's what he always called me. Luckily I thought it was cute and gnocchi happens to be one of my favorite foods. 

Anyway, about 3 years into our courtship my husband surprised me with this engraved locket. I love it to pieces and wear it all the time.
 It reads,

 "Gnocchi, I always knew you were the one" 

About 2 years later we got married. I just thought I'd share a little backround on this special meal.
Once in the first year we were dating, I tried to make gnocchi for my husband, then boyfriend, and it was a disaster. We had to go out to eat after I ruined it beyond repair! So I figuered I'd give it another shot! 



I hope you'll give this a try! It seems daunting but I promise you this is really easy to make and it's unbelievably delicious.




Pin It

15 comments:

Sheila Lynn said...

That looks delicious! I am not a pro in the kitchen by any means .. so I trust you when you say it's easy .. will try it sometime! : )
Thanks for sharing!

Sheila xo
http://livelaughlovemrsrj.blogspot.com/

Amy said...

Gnocchi are like little pillows of heaven. My all time favorite pasta. I will be making them.

: )

Lorrie said...

Such a sweet little background story about you and your husband. I love gnocchi, but have been too scared to try it. This recipe seems doable so I will definitely be giving it a shot.

{Adventuresindinner} said...

Delicious on all levels!

So happy for the successful run:0)

Bask in your fabulousness for at least a minute (or 10...)

stephanie said...

oh lordy. gnocchi is one of my favs!!! this looks SO yummy. and 12.5 miles?! hello! you are amazing.

The Lee Family Happenings said...

Such a sweet story! Gnocchi is one of my favorites and yours looks amazing... I'm definitely making it soon! Thanks!

Carole Rae said...

Yummmah. It sure does look good. I may have to X out the peas...I hate those little buggers. Thanks for sharing!!

Val said...

Beautiful post!

Amy said...

This recipe looks DELICIOUS! I can't wait to get adventurous and try it sometime. And that little love story is so cute. What a sweet nick name. Happy Friday :)

Sweetums said...

Thank you Hanna, so romantic :)

Susan said...

150% my favorite meal period.
These look incredible!

Amber said...

I cant decide what I like more, the locket or the gnocchi.

Bailey@Lost&Found said...

This looks ah-maz-ing!!! YUMMY! And 12.5 miles! GO YOU!

marie said...

That is the sweetest story and locket!!!!!

If those gnocchi are half as good as they look then they've got to be awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Lindsay said...

This looks delicious!!!! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...