Great Songs to Run to!!!!

Great Songs for Running

Last summer, I trained for my first half marathon. I’m usually a
three-to-five mile a run gal and this was my first truly long run. One
thing I learned quickly while training: The mind is an incredibly powerful
tool that you can use to keep going when you’re ready to pack it all
up, drive home and watch Netflix for the rest of the day. Music is key for
me, when I’m working on keeping my mental state upbeat and positive
during a run. Here are some tracks that I’ve been turning to lately
to keep my mind going:
  • “Modern Love” – David Bowie: The beat
    of this song is excellent. It’s definitely got an ‘80s
    vibe and there’s an urgency there that makes you want to keep on
    going (or dance around in your underwear). It’s a good long one
    (nearly five minutes) and, of course, has a saxophone solo.
  • “Close to Me” – The Cure
    Here’s another golden oldie that makes a good addition to a running 
    playlist. The hand claps and horns are light and fun, but fast enough to
    keep your feet hitting the pavement. It’s not your usual
    “jock jams” hit and I was surprised when my friend
    Janelle, a fitness trainer, put it on during one of our cross-training
    sessions. Guide
    to Healthcare Schools has more information on fitness training
    and degree programs if you’re interested in turning your
    interest in fitness into a career.
  • “Bohemian Like You” – The Dandy
    Warhols: This is one of those songs that makes you just feel cool
    listening to it, as if you were traveling down a windy highway in a
    bright red convertible. The “ooh ooh ooooohs” of the 
    chorus are terribly addictive.
  • “Land” – Patti Smith: The original
    queen of punk rock is an obvious place to turn for inspiration, when
    you’re trying to do something no one thinks you can do. Her
    vocals are fierce, and the guitar riffs have an urgency that makes you 
    want to run faster. Even though it is 10 minutes long, I often listen to 
    it more than once during a run.
  • “Canned Heat” – Jamiroquai: I started
    training with a group of friends that were in one of my college
    classes, and they introduced me to this standard of their running
    track list. I’d heard it before, but didn’t know the name
    or artist. The beat is groovy, and the song’s order to
    “Dance!” is easily translatable to running. If
    you’re looking to go back to school or put together your own
    running club, check out online
    colleges for additional information.
  • “Music Is My Hot Hot Sex” – CSS: This
    Brazilian group with a female vocalist makes a truly fun running jam.
    This is another song that can distract you from negative thoughts back
    into a groove and a natural flow. It’s hard to feel too dark
    when you’re simultaneously singing about these “restorative 
    properties” of music.

Sources




9 comments:

Val said...

Immediately, when I saw the title. Bryan Adams, came to me....I'm gonna run to you....I will be singing it all day!!!

melanie said...

love these!!!! also, i love running to any sort of techno/dubstep song!

Jane Craske said...

Right now I can't get enough of Nicki Minaj (I know, not terribly deep but keeps me moving).

Lindsay said...

Great choices...these songs take me back :)

Lyndsay Wells said...

Great choices! I like to end my runs with C and C Music Factory - Everybody Dance Now. The line "Gonna Make you Sweat till you bleed" is very motivating.

Rachel @ My Happily Ever After said...

loooove "close to me"...def going to download a few of these...i just jumped back on the wagon with my gym membership!

curiouscovetous said...

ha, funny you posted this! i have just started going to the gym again and john and i are going to make playlists for each other so this is perfect! yay!

SueAnn Lommler said...

While I am working out...I do Lady GaGa...good beat
Ha
Hugs
SueAnn

Sara Grace said...

great workout picks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...