Inspirational Interview with Haute Running Mama

Good Morning!!!! 

Get ready to be inspired because today I am interviewing an AMAZING working mom of two who is an incredible athlete as well!!!! 

I would love to be at her level of athleticism. All in time my friends!! 

Plus I've only just met her and she is just about the sweetest person on earth. 

Nicole has a great blog where she shares her running adventures, please pay her a visit at {Haute Running Mama} and please enjoy her interview!!! 


#1. Why did you start running? and how quickly did you progress? 
"I started running because my Dad asked me if I would run the San Diego Rock N Roll marathon with him. He was a 2:40 marathoner at age 17 and had not taken on 26.2 since I was born! I thought he was crazy and at first my response was no. I hated running because it was HARD and I could not imagine having to run 26 miles. When he told me that my brother (an ex-baseball player that is 6'4 and 250 lbs) agreed to run it I couldn't resist the challenge. Smart Dad! I progressed pretty quickly because I did not have a choice. I did not want to go from not running to a marathon so I signed up for a couple of halfs and a 10k to learn how to race. When I was able to run 3,4,5 miles I was surprised that the sport I used to hate had turned into one that I loved! Each week I was able to go a little bit farther. I remember crying the first time I made it to 8 miles. I don't know why it was 8 that got me but it did. The girl who used to avoid dressing down for the High School mile test could go long."


#2. How long have you been running? 
"I have officially been running for 2 years 3 mos and 2 weeks. I know it down to the day!" 

#3  Does your running interfere with your "day" job? WHen do you have time to train? 
"I wish it was my day job! In order to be able train for races I have to run before the sun rises. With 2 kids and a full time job it's the only opportunity I have. That means getting up at 4:15 and hitting the treadmill no later than 5 am. A lot of my training is done on a TM. If I am able to sneak a run in at lunch I do it. My long runs are outdoors early on Saturdays so that they do not interfere with family time. When you love something you make it work."

#4 How many miles a week do you run and do you follow a specific training plan? 
"My weekly miles vary depending on whether or not I am training for a race. When I am just running to run I average around 30 miles per week. When I am marathon training I am up around 50-55. I don't have a specific plan but I do make sure to get in at least one tempo run per week and I am now focusing on slowing down my long run. I love to read running books and use several as guides to become a better runner."



#5 About how many races a year do you run and what;s your favorite distance? 
"In 2011 I ran 1 race per month. This year I am cutting back a bit to try to build a better base and run smarter. My favorite distance is the half marathon. It's long enough to test me without totally draining me."

#6 Does your hubby run too? 
"He does. His distance is the 5k which is crazy to me because in my opinion 5k's are HARD. There is no warm up. It's like ready, set, go...run fast for 3.1 miles! I have been trying to convince him to run a half with me. He said if we go back to Maui in 2013 (I raced there in 2011) he will consider running the warrior challenge with me. Um, he doesn't have to twist my arm! Let's do it!"



#7 I think the distance and speed you run is amazing. How does it make you feel to be such an accomplished runner and have two kids? 
"Sometimes I have to pinch myself. I am so proud of what I have accomplished. When I first started running I averaged a 9:30 mile on the treadmill and felt like I was going to die. I am now in the 7's! It just goes to show that I can accomplish anything if I want it bad enough. At 33 I am faster than I was at 17. It's incredible. My kids absolutely love it too. At each race after I cross the finish and get my medal they celebrate because they think I won. It is so so so cool!"


#8 Do you have a just a few tips to help any of my readers who are not runners but desperately want to be? 
"Take it one day at a time. Start slow and do what you can. Walking does not mean defeat! Remember running around on the playground as a kid? That was FUN right? Running can be fun! Try not to get caught up in reading running blogs and comparing yourself to others. Run for you. Set your own realistic goals and then smash them out of the park. You CAN do it, you just have to want it bad enough"


#9 Do you follow a specific diet plan or just try to eat healthy to keep your weight down? 
LOL!  I wish I could say I never weigh myself but I do. I don't want to get caught up in the number game but I need to be aware of whether or not I am eating and drinking enough."


#10 Do you plan on running races for the rest of your life? 
"It all depends. I think I will run as long as my body allows me to. Races are fun and I know that as I get older it will get harder. I will most likely start running races with my kids and helping them accomplish their goals. Right now my youngest is mastering the 50 yard dash. That's a distance I can dominate, HA!"






#11 If you ever had the chance to go pro, would you take it? 
"You better believe it." 


Thank you so much Nicole for sharing your story and your love of running with us. I am greatly inspired by you and I think you are amazing!!!! I'll be following you the whole way! 

Again, you can find Nicole on a daily basis over at {Haute Running Mama}

To see more inspirational running interviews click {HERE}

Pin It

5 comments:

Beth Ann said...

Great interview! Very inspiring!

Susan said...

Amazing!
She is ripped. Wow. I am so envious of the dedication you women have. Just incredible.

hauterunningmama said...

Hannah:

Thank you so much for taking the time to talk to me! It is so important for all of us to encourage and inspire one another. We are all good at something- it's just figuring out what that something is and running with it (No pun intended. Gaw, I'm a dork!)
Keep on going, you are going to rock 13.1 and 26.2 in the next few weeks! Wahooo!

Hugs,
Nicole

Val said...

I'm very inspired. Good stuff.

Amber said...

wow she is one awesome mama. I tried to get involved in running and even bought a nice new pair of running shoes, but man oh man is it hard! I couldnt get my breathing right and ended up quitting.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...