Inspirational Interview with Neon Runner

Ready for another GREAT interview?

I could talk running all day long!!!!!

Please meet Katherine from Neon Runner and read her great running story!!! 

LOVE this girl!!!


#1. Why did you start running? and how quickly did you progress?  
     I started running because I was BORED!  My boyfriend (a former triathlete)       encouraged me to run and I was HOOKED.


#2. How long have you been running? 
  I ran my first road race in May 2010, ran my first marathon in November 2011, and qualified for Boston in December 2011.  I most recently ran a 3:26 marathon in May 2012.  (3 marathons in 7 months.)

#3  Does your running interfere with your "day" job? When do you have time to train?  
 I only work 3 days per week so I have TONS of time to run on my days off.  I NEVER run on the days that I work...which is good for me, it forces me to take rest-days from running.  Otherwise I'd probably over-train and get injured...

#4 How many miles a week do you run and do you follow a specific training plan?
  Leading up to my last marathon (my PR of 3:26), I averaged 32 miles per week over 15 weeks.  I don't follow a specific training plan, I make it up as I go along...I believe in QUALITY over QUANTITY.  Here's a post about my thoughts on marathon training: http://www.neonblonderunner.com/2012/05/marathon-training-and-my-low-mileage.html  But with that being said, I may try a slightly higher mileage training program this summer to go along with my fall marathon training group.  I'll see if that helps me find some more speed!


#5 About how many races a year do you run and what's your favorite distance?
 In the past year, I've run 3 marathons...plus one 10K and one 5K.  The marathon is my favorite distance!

#6 Tell us what your favorite race of all time was?  
 Best race ever was the Rehoboth Marathon where I qualified for the Boston Marathon in December 2012.  (insert photo of me hugging my dad at the finish line)


#7 Do you have a partner and do they run as well?  
 My boyfriend is a super speedy runner/former-triathlete...but he's been plagued by a bad case of Achilles tendonitis over the past two years, so unfortunately we don't get to run together as much as I'd like to :(

#8 How does it make you feel to be such an accomplished runner?  
 Ok you are too sweet to even ask me this question...but honestly, when I meet or exceed my expectations, it just reminds me that I am capable of SO much more than I think I am.  I run because I LOVE to run and it's an amazing feeling to see progress from sticking with it!  Success is a byproduct of my dedication to the sport!
  
#9 Do you have a just a few tips to help any of my readers who are not runners but desperately want to be?  
 Yes!  Just focus on getting out there and being consistent.  Do NOT focus on speed, that will come naturally with time!  Run because you want to feel that joy.  Find a running buddy or running group to keep you accountable (very important)!  Run early in the day if you're too tired to do it after work.  Think of running as your "me" time!

#10 Do you follow a specific diet plan or just try to eat heathy to keep your weight down? 
 I don't follow any special diet plans, I just try to eat when I'm hungry.  I tend to "graze" a lot.  You'll always find a granola/protein/fiber bar in my purse!  PORTION control is also very important for me.  I try to limit eating out at restaurants and if I do eat out I am super mindful of my portions.

#11 Do you plan on running races for the rest of your life? 
 I want to have a life-long love affair with running :)  So if that means scaling back in a few years in order to preserve my joints and heart (my mom had double knee replacements in her 50's and I'd like to avoid that...), then I'll do whatever it takes in order to keep it up as a life-long habit!

#12 If you ever had the chance to go pro, would you take it? 
 I would need to work a LOT harder if I were going to go up to that stratosphere...but if I could, I would LOVE to.  Eat/sleep/run?!  Sign me up!

#13 What's your favorite thing about running? 
 It makes me feel so ALIVE :)  The benefits of running flow into other parts of my life-- I feel more calm, patient, organized, productive, and happy.

A Big HUGE thank you to Katherine from Neon Runner for sharing her story and inspiring us all. Please go check out her blog for more running goodness!!!




Pin It

2 comments:

Neon Blonde Runner said...

Aw thanks for featuring me!!!! You are so very sweet!

Yo Momma Runs said...

I love Neon Blonde! She's so fun and spunky. And super fast! But totally down to earth about it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...