Respect your Body, Your Mind will Follow






It has been 5 weeks since I haven't run a single step in my shoes. Last night my body told me to try and run so I did. I ran one very slow mile and then I stopped! 

The injury keeping me out of running for 5 weeks equaled PURE agony in my eyes.





I truly underestimated the power of what running 40 miles a week had brought to me mentally. 

At a time in my life when we are facing bankruptcy, having enough gas to make it to work, negative checking accounts and not enough diapers, I really and truly NEEDED those endorphins to keep me going. 

I  knew that running made ME feel good but I had no idea what would happen if one it was to all be taken away from me. It was my lifeline,  my crutch. When I was stressed, I'd run, sad, run, happy, run, angry, run. 

It didn't matter what it was, running emotionally "fixed" it enough for me to be able to handle. I grew very dependent  on it and didn't realize how much so. I spent a lot of time in my shrink's office over the last month sure I was having a nervous breakdown.





I also learned A HUGE lesson!!!!!! 

DON'T BE GREEDY!

I was so so so greedy with my running. I would train the perfect number of days in a week and then I would always add on 20 extra "junk" miles. WHY?

Because I was greedy

I wanted to be faster, I wanted to be able to run longer and be less fatigues. 
I just wanted to be able to perform as a better athlete faster. 

Well guess what? That mentality will get you to only one place.

INJURED!!!!!! 






Just now I am coming out on the other side on my injury. After I ran one slow mile a few days ago I did have pain again so I will go for a bone scan on Friday to diagnose fully. I do feel it is almost healed though.  I will tell you I have never in my entire life been so grateful to run one slow mile!!!!!! 
Almost made me cry! 

I learned that being out with an injury certainly won't kill you, in fact it forced me to deal with some things I wouldn't have otherwise. 

I realized the importance of cross training. I immediate fell in love with spinning and I love it!!!! I will keep it as a cross trainer at least once or twice a week. I also started  swimming which is great. 
Being injured has taught me to respect my body. Sure, it wasn't like I purposely ran myself into the ground but I could have been a lot more careful and a lot less greedy and I probably would have ran that marathon.





SO where does that leave me?

Life long dream still not accomplished!!! DRAT!!!!

I've lost 7 pounds of muscle. For the first time in my life I weigh in the 120's. I've NEVER and I mean NEVER weighed in the 120's. I guess I shouldn't be complaining:)

Great news. I have found a life long love in running and know there will be many, many, many more marathons for me to run!!!! 

So, this time I will start out very slow and very cautious on my journey to marathon runner! I will humbly take a backseat to my body and let it do the talking!!!! 






Pin It

7 comments:

Susan said...

OK, those pics are so cute!!
Hope you're ok. Take it easy friend.

Jamie Campbell said...

I know its so hard to take it easy! As you lost muscle weight.. I've gained it! Its so frustrating to see the scale increase though... even though I know its good for me!

Hope the bone scan comes back ok.
xoxo.

I just printed out the training schedule for the marathon in Oct.. 18 weeks. You should follow it too. :) Hal Higdon.

Christy said...

You are so smart! I love reading about your journey and optimism throughout your bummer of an injury. I don't know how you are so optimistic all the time. I get so grumpy about my shins, and I still can run!

But I'm right there with you. Gawsh it is so hard to not just push it, the speed...the distance. Too bad we can't run together and make each other run SLOW.

I think I will only do Vegas half. I want to do the full, but I want to do the full in Phoenix in January and I'm afraid my body will buckle at both. Mentally I can do it, but physically...I'm aging like a 90 year old grandma. You still planning a full in Vegas?

Char said...

Look at you being all smart :) I know it's hard to stop and listen to your body talk, easier said than done. GOod for you! 1 mile is better than none!

And I will be seeing you and/or Christy in Phoenix in January :)

Marnie said...

Glad you listened to your body and did what felt natural. You go out there and show them whose boss!

Beth Ann said...

Sounds like your injury forced you to take a break that was much needed in several different ways. Running is awesome and you are an awesome runner- but there is so much more to life and I'm glad you have gotten this time off to make positive life changes such as moving to day shift! and discovering new exercise methods as well as getting some quality family time in! Perhaps a blessing in disguise.

Margs @ Faster Bunny said...

I don't know when these pictures are from (just recently) but you are like the happiest looking runner in the world. I gotta learn a lesson from you on that :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...