1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, at room temperature
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 teaspoons Vanilla
2 cups All Purpose Flour
2 cups caramel cut into small chunks
3 tablespoons heavy cream
3 cups chopped Milk chocolate or dark chocolate, melted
1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
1) FOR THE CRUST: Preheat your oven to 300°F. Spray a 9" x 13" pan lightly with cooking spray, or line with parchment, and set aside.
2) In a medium-sized bowl, beat together the butter, sugar and vanilla. Add the flour. At first the mixture may seem dry, but will come together as you continue to beat at medium speed.
3) Take the dough (it will be somewhat stiff) and press it evenly into the pan. Lightly flouring your fingertips will help with any sticking.
4) Prick the crust all over with a fork. The holes will allow steam to escape and the crust will bake evenly with fewer bubbles.
5) Bake the crust until it's lightly golden brown on top and the edges are deeper golden brown, about 35 to 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately run a knife around the edges to loosen the crust. Set it aside to cool completely.
6) FOR THE CARAMEL LAYER: Melt the caramel and cream over low heat in a small saucepan. Pour the caramel over the cooled crust and set in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to chill and firm up.
After the caramel layer has chilled firm, cut down the length of the pan, splitting the bars into two long, narrow bars. Then cut each long strip into "fingers". Now melt about 1/8 cup of chocolate in the microwave. This is for dipping the sticks only. Dip each stick in the chocolate and then into the caramel layer of the twix bar. Do not try to dip it into the short bread layer or it will crumble. Set on a covered sheet and let cool and set in the refrigerator.
7) FOR THE CHOCOLATE LAYER: Melt the milk or dark chocolate slowly in the microwave in 30 second intervals stirring in between add not to burn. Add the shortening to thin it. Now your ready to dip your bars. Once dipped lay on a clean sheet of wax paper and chill in the refrigerator. To decorate you can use a small amount of melted chocolate and put it into a zip lock baggie. When your ready cut a tiny hole in the corner and pipe the melted chocolate on top of the bar in whatever pattern you like.
8) . Dip the chilled bars into melted chocolate and place on parchment paper to set for several hours.