Inspirational Interview with Janae from Hungry Runner Girl

I have another great inspirational interview for you today!!!!

Janae is the author of HUNGRY RUNNER GIRL. She might just be one of the sweetest people in the blogosphere and her happiness is contagious.

She always has a HUGE smile on her face, she just had a gorgeous little baby girl and of course is running more than ever. Plus she's an amazing athlete.

Her PR marathon time is 3:04!!!! WHOA! GO GIRL!!!! I can only pray one day I will be that fast!!!!

Janae's blog is really fun because it updates it twice a day!!!! HELLO entertainment!!! I love that and SHE LOVES FOOD!!!!! This is a girl after my own heart!

SO without further ado let me introduce you to the lovely Janae aka HUNGRY RUNNER GIRL!!!!!


1. Why did you start running? 
I started running when I was 12 years old.  My older sister would go running at night and my mom didn't want her going alone so she sent me to go with her.   We had a lot of fun together but it took me a while to start liking running. Once I felt stronger and more comfortable on my runs I became hooked on the sport.

2. Does your running interfere with your "day" job or is running your "day job?  When do you have time to train? 4. How many miles a week do you run and do you follow a specific training plan? 
I am not currently following a specific training plan but for previous marathons and important races I did.  Now that I have a little girl I run when she naps which is usually at about 10 a.m. everyday.  When I was working as a teacher I would run at 5 in the morning and that is what worked best with my work and family schedule.  I am currently running 40-50 miles a week.
3. About how many races a year do you run and what's your favorite distance?  
I typically run 10 races a year but that may change now with a child.  I will probably focus on 5 key races each year.  My favorite distance is the marathon.  For some strange reason I love running for hours and doing it with other runners makes it even better.

4. Tell us what your favorite race of all time was. I know HARD question?  
My absolute favorite race was when I got my personal best marathon time at the Top of Utah Marathon.  Everything worked out so perfectly that day.  It was a gorgeous course and the temperatures were perfect.  I was very positive throughout the race and didn't hit the wall as hard as previous marathons because I was smarter about my fueling throughout the race.  It was an incredible feeling to cross the finish line with a new record!

5. Does your husband run as well? If so, do you ever do races together?
My husband does run! He started really training a little over a year ago and he is very fast.  We have run two races together and they were a blast.  I am hoping that we will be able to run many more races together in the future and he even promised that he would run a marathon with me at some point.  When I first met him he didn't like running at all so it is so fun to see him enjoy it so much now.

6. How does it make you feel to be such an accomplished runner? Let's face it Janea Your Fast.
You are really nice:)  I love running and I love setting new goals for myself.  I love training to reach those goals and I can't wait to improve.
7. Do you have a just a few tips to help any of my readers who are not runners but desperately want to be? 
I love hearing about people wanting to get into running, it makes me so happy because I want other people to enjoy all of the benefits of running too.  I think that first you need to make sure you have good shoes.  Go to a running shoe store to be fitted for shoes that are right for you.  I would focus on running for time in the beginning rather than distance.  Start with a goal like running for 5 minutes followed by walking and increase the time each week. The couch to 5k plan (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml) is a great plan to follow for beginners!  Find a buddy to run with.  One of my favorite things about running is running with other people and it is so motivating to have a running partner.  Think of some rewards that will help motivate you to reach your goals.  I like to buy new running gear (shorts, tops etc) once I meet a goal or getting a massage is also a great reward for meeting your running goals.  My last tip for new runners is to sign up for a race like a 5k or 10k.  Once you pay the money for a race you will be more likely to stick to running!  Know that running is hard for everyone! It gets easier but we all start at the beginning and experience the same things you are experiencing and for most people it takes time to really grow to love running.
8. I am desperate to work on my speed. One of my biggest goals is to Qualify for Boston. Any advice on speed work and what works the best for you?
I think that it is very important to include speed work and hill work into your training to get faster.  It takes time and dedication to get faster but I truly believe that everyone can get faster.  I wrote a post about my favorite ways to get faster here:
9. Do you follow a specific diet plan or just try to eat healthy to keep your weight down, miss skinny mini 2 seconds after having a baby?
I do not follow a specific diet plan.  I try to eat healthy but I love sweets more than anyone you know:)
10. Do you plan on running races for the rest of your life? 
I would love to continue to run races for the rest of my life.  I love the racing atmosphere and everything about it.  There is so much excitement and it is so fun to talk to runners of all ages and from all over the world.  Running the NYC Marathon was incredible because I was able to talk to so many different people about their love for running.
 12. If you ever had the chance to go pro, would you take it?
HECK YEAH! That would be awesome:)  I have some big goals in terms of running but I also have big goals in other areas of my life so I don't think I will dedicate the amount of time and training it takes to become pro.  For now I am just going to continue to run everyday and love it for the amazing benefits. Getting some pr's will be really nice too.
13. What are your favorite things about running?
My absolute favorite thing about running is the mental aspect.  I love the endorphins after a good run and there is nothing that relieves stress more for me than running does.  I could be in the worst mood before a run and afterwards I feel so much better.  I also love the social parts of running, I have had some of the best conversations with my husband, with my family or friends during a run!

THANK YOU SO MUCH JANAE!!!!!! 

I read Janae's blog daily and just love it. She's got such a positive, contagious outlook on life!!!! 
Go check her out HERE 


Read more inspirational running interviews HERE
Pin It

1 comment:

The Hungry Runner Girl said...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU so much for having me:) You are so sweet! I absolutely love your blog design, it is adorable! Thanks for the sweet words.. how much did Billy pay you to say those things?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...