"overprotective" parenting and PUMPKIN Stuff

Okay, ever since my experience with florescent orange pumpkin llatte from Starbucks that didn't even taste like pumpkin, I decided to take matters into my own hands. 

I found this recipe on Bess Be Fit but I used 2 scoops of my beloved CLICK and VOILA!!!!!!!!!! 

P*U*M*P*K*I*N     H*E*A*V*E*N

Besides I was crying my eyes out this morning because I'm pregnant and CRAZY but I found out I can;t run a gorgeous local 1/2 marathon that I really wanted to do because of childcare issues. 

We have been called  "over protective" parents by  many. Our children have never been baby sat by anyone except their grandmother, aunt, and great aunt. They have never been to day care. I took them to the church day care one day and some kid smashed littleMilton on the head so hard he cried about it for about a month and was so traumatized that he told me about it every single day so you know what, I don't really care if I'm a "crazy over protective parent" as long as my kids are safe, secure and happy. 

HOWEVER, it does come with many sacrifices like not being able to do many things I want to do for myself.

ENOUGH about that!!!! 

ONTO THE PUMPKIN
MAKE THIS RECIPE AND ADD 2 scoops of protein powder or CLICK if you so desire. TOO DIE FOR!!!!! 




Now onto more pumpkin!!!! 

I made these little Tartlettes last year and they were one of my highest clicked on posts to date so I thought I'd share them again this year. !!!!!!

ENJOY!!!!!!


For the Crust:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks or 8 ounces) unsalted butter, cold, cut into cubes
1 large egg
2 tablespoons milk
1 large egg (for brushing the dough)
For the Filling:
3/4 cup pureed pumpkin
1 large egg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup granulated sugar
Maple Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons milk
To prepare the Crust:
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar and salt.  Add the cold butter and break it up in the flour mixture using your fingers, a pastry cutter or a food processor.  There may seem like there’s a ton of butter in your flour.  There is.   Work it in until only pea sized lumps remain in your mixture.  The mixture should also hold together when squeezed into a ball. 
In a small bowl, beat the egg with the milk.  Add the mixture all at once to the dry ingredients and stir to make sure that moisture is introduced to all of the flour mixture.  Lightly dust a clean counter with flour and knead the dough on the floured counter for a few turns until it really starts to come together.  Divide the dough in two, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.  I find that the dough is just a bit easier to work with when it’s chilled.
While the dough is chilling, prepare the filling:
In a small sauce pan, heat pumpkin puree and spices over medium heat.  Just heat through until the spices become fragrant.  This helps to bring loads of flavor into the filling.  Remove from heat and place spiced pumpkin in a medium sized bowl.  Whisk in egg, salt and sugar and place in the fridge to rest while you roll out the dough.
On a well floured work surface, roll out one of your dough balls until desired thickness and cut with floured round cookie cutter. I like to gather these and then go ahead and gather the little disks and set aside. Then I roll put the other dough ball and repeat cutting the disks until finished. Now we are ready to add our filling.
Brush one set of circles with beaten egg.  This will act as the glue for the top layer of dough.  Spoon about one tablespoon of pie filling into the center of each brushed dough square.  DO NOT OVERFILL! Top with a piece of dough and use a floured fork to crimp the sides closed.  Use the tines of the fork to create vent holes in each tart.
Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.  Let tarts rest in the fridge for 30 minutes while the oven preheats.
Remove tarts from the fridge and place in the oven to bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
While the tarts bake, whisk together ingredients for the glaze and set aside.
Let baked tarts rest on a cooling rack to cool completely before glazing.  Best served within 2 days.

Pin It

6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I commend you for making your kids a priority and sacrificing for them! You will never regret it! The numbers of children who are molested and abused by babysitters that parents mindlessly trust are out of this world. I work in law enforcement and the cases we work are heartbreaking. BRAVO to you for being a parent you stands up and says "I am responsible for my kids and their well being; no matter the cost!" It is a rare thing!!

That said- wish you lived next door so I could bring your kids to the race and cheer you on!

Marina {Yummy Mummy) said...

These look so so delicious and don't even get me started on overprotective parenting 'cause I'm the queen. I always say I have Babysitter Anxiety Disorder because I'm so uncomfortable leaving them with anyone.

Christy said...

I want to try those tartlettes. They look so good. I would try the latte but I don't like coffee! I would have to modify it somehow.

Sorry about the child care thing. Can't the hubby bring them along to watch you? Or is he running too?? I have three halfs on my schedule this fall and I have to miss them ALL because I'll be gone. Frustrating to miss something you want to do so bad! Feel your pain!

Susan said...

I totally understand on the childcare thing! It's hard. I'm ok once they're older but have always been a tad paranoid when they're small. It is what it is.
Those tarts look divine!

Char said...

These are one of my favorite recipes of yours!! I made them a couple times and couldn't help myself from eating the entire batch! Something about pumpkin :) THough when I made them I forgot the icing, still good :) P.S. Being overprotective isn't such a bad thing. Besides, you're saving a ton of money. We spend nearly $600/month in daycare :( I hate it.

Kristina said...

Those little pumpkin tartlets look fabulous! Omygoodness yum! And so funny that you said that about the starbucks pumpkin spice lattes - I thought that same thing when I ordered my first one of the season last week - I was so excited for it but it just wasn't what I was expecting! Would love to make my own at home :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...