On Facebook



You know I have a very tumultuous relationship with facebook, right?

I think facebook for a lot of people isn't troublesome because they don't obsessively look at it and really don't use it much but I have a compulsive personality and it drives me crazy!! I obsess about everything; just my personality I suppose.

Back in the early spring I did away with my person account for a few months and it felt great. Then of course I got curious and decided to get back on and see what everyone was up to and immediately got addicted again.
Then after much deliberation decided again about a week or so ago to get rid of my personal account again. I have been trying to pin point exactly what it is that bothers me about it so much.

It's a Waste of Time:
Obviously, this is a no brainer,we are all busy with important things to attend to and jobs to get done. It's a waste of time.

It's Gossipy:
My friend Christy pointed this one out and it;s totally true. Facebook is like one giant gossip session and lets face it gossip never gets us anywhere positive.

It Creates Chaos and Anxiety:
The first benefit I have noticed about NOT having facebook is that I feel calmer. I don't feel the need to be checking and checking and checking every 5 min to see what;s happening. I don't know why we all seem to be so fascinated with what other people who we hardly know half the time are doing every 5 seconds but it really isn't important and doesn't pertain to our own lives. I instantly feel more at ease.

It's Negative:
I can't pin point EXACTLY what it is about facebook that gives me the negative vibe but there is something about that seems wrong or like a lie. It's like a disgusting form of entertainment at it's best; worse than a reality show and the sad thing is..........That's why I love it!!!! But then of course I hate it again! UGH!!!!! 

I've decided I think it's best to leave it out of my personal life if possible. However, I think facebook is an EXCELLENT marketing tool for any business. Whoever it was who thought of it is one smart cookie.

What are your thoughts on Facebook?
Pin It

11 comments:

Jolene said...

I use my account occasionally...I use it to post things to but don't "follow" people like I use to. I have 7 children and just don't have the time. If there is drama I drop that person that simple...but I am not often enough now to get involved in drama at least that's my hope and so far its working.

icecreamtomarathon said...

I love fb! I'm not obsessive with it, but I do love being able to stay in touch with people that way. When I was a teenager, my family and I moved out of state, and it's been awesome to reconnect with old friends! And I do post running updates and stuff , and people tell me it's inspiring! ;)

Mandi said...

I have a love hate relationship with Facebook. I love it because I can communicate with my family who I never get to see because they all llive so far away, and I've been able to reconnect with my high school best friends. But then I hate it because I come from a very large family and there can be WAY too much drama. I try to ignore the drama, but sometimes it can be hurtful. And then there are the times that I thank my lucky stars that I moved to the US (they are all in Canada) and am able to avoid it because of the miles between us. I have the type of personality that I feel guilty if I unfriendly someone, especially if they are family, so I just restrict their comments and then I don't have to be bothered by it :) Oh the stresses technology has brought on!

Elizabeth said...

I agree, fb is frustrating. I have it because it's a great way to have additional contact with my married/moved away siblings. But I do get frustrated with the dozens of people who post NEGATIVE things every stinkin' day. (and here I am, complaining about it.....)
I feel like there are many great uses for it, but it is also misused a lot.
I guess it's like anything in life- you can take it and use it to bring joy and focus and productivity to the world, or you can use it to tear down yourself and others and waste your life away.

Yo Momma Runs said...

I am one of those FB lovers. Mostly because I use it as a substitute for emailing people to their regular email addresses. I'm so horrible at keeping up with any kind of address book (email or otherwise), so I love how easy facebook is for just shooting someone a message. The problem with that is that people don't always check there!:) We also moved a lot when we were young, so it's cool to have some contact with people who I definitely lost touch with over the years. I did have to unfriend a few people recently because they were having really crazy facebook fights with each other. Not cool.

Melanie said...

I agree. Facebook is addictive and yes a waste of time but I still look through the feeds every day ! lol
I mostly use it for my business but enjoy the social aspect of it too. I have made lots of lovely new friends through my business page. Thumbs up from me.

Alesha said...

I totally agree that I can be addictive and a time waster. There have been times in my life where it probably hasn't been early, but right now it is indispensable for me! I recently moved from WA State to Florida and it is a great way for me to keep in touch with family and friends.
Alesha <3

Heather said...

I don't necessarily hate facebook and but I did think it was a waste of time so I deleted my account two years ago. I have been curious a few times but since my husband has an account, I just go on his and look at whatever pictures I want. It's surprising and kind of scary how easy it is to access people he isn't even "friends" with. Another HUGE reason so stay off facebook in my books.

Sometimes I miss feeling "connected" with my friends. And it's a little sad when I find out so-and-so got married and no one bothered to tell me because everyone assumed I'd know. But it really has opened my eyes to who care enough to stay in touch. That can sting a bit at times too.

stephanie said...

besides being able to stay connected to family all over the country i hate it for every reason you listed.

Susan Liberatore said...

It doesn't bother me a bit but again, it really does depend on your personality. My daughter who is 14 doesn't want it all for exactly the reasons you mention. I'm quite proud of her for that!

Jane Craske said...

You always have to go with your gut.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...