Red and White Christmas Pin Wheels


Hi Friends!!!!!

NEED SOME CHRISTMAS RECIPE INSPIRATION?

Check out what I am going to share them with you, Red and White Sugar Cookie Pinwheels. They are stunning and sure to amaze anyone who is lucky enough to receive a few. They are also one of the most delicious cookies I've had the pleasure to taste. 

Not to mention you can wrap these and freeze them beautifully to use anytime.


(This recipe will yield about 18-24 cookies depending on the width cut)

Ingredients

  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon red food coloring.( I highly recommend the gel variety. You can buy it at any craft store. It is much brighter and you can use less)
  • Powdered sugar, for rolling out dough
  • 3 tablespoons milk

Directions

Sift together the flour, salt and baking powder and set aside.
Cream butter and sugar together in another large bowl. Add egg, vanilla, milk and beat until incorporated. Gradually add the dry mixture, beating until combined. Remove half of the mixture from the bowl. Add red food coloring, beating until fully combined. You may have to knead the colored dough a bit to get it mixed thoroughly.  On a sheet of waxed paper, roll out dough to form a large rectangle, about 1/4-inch thick. Repeat this step with the other half of uncolored dough with no food coloring.
 Now very carefully, slide the red dough on top of the white dough and slide the parchment paper out. Trim edges if uneven and patch if necessary. Roll dough into a log, creating a swirl effect. NOTE: do not worry if the dough starts to tear a little when you are rolling it. This is normal. Simply mend it with your fingers as you go along.

Now place a generous amount of sprinkes in a shallow dish and roll the cookie dough log firmly over the sprinkles until they stick and its covered. Wrap tightly with saran wrap and place the dough back in the refrigerator and let chill for 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Slice the dough into 1/2-inch slices and place on a parchment lined sheet tray about 1-inch apart.  Bake fo2 10-15 minuets depending on how thick you sliced the cookies.


A cheap easy way to package these cookies is to buy a yard or two of muslin fabric, cut into a 12 inch circle, place cookies inside and tie with a bell, a little note, and some cute twine. I always use twine from {The Twinery}


Happy Holidays Everyone!!!


Pin It
I was featured on FJI

21 comments:

Yummy Mummy said...

I love pinwheels. I have a special secret recipe for them from my grandmother that I can't share on the blog. It's one of THOSE secret recipes :) This look so festive and yummy!

amy and jesse hudson said...

Looks awesome, Hanna! Beautiful presentation. Got them pinned!

morenumerousthansand said...

Yummy! These look fabulous and love that you can freeze them for later. ~ Naomi

Jerri said...

These look wonderful! I just added them to my pinterest. I'd love for you to stop by and link them up at my Friday Favorites party!

Judy said...

How did you get the red so bright and brilliant? I always end up with pink :)

I made pinwheel cookies for St Patrick's Day and had so much fun with them...I will have to find time to make these for Christmas!

Lindsay said...

SUCH a cute gift idea :)

Gail @ Sophisticated Steps said...

Can we say FESTIVE??? Adorable and I bet they taste soooo good.
You know, Hanna, you should really watermark your pictures so they don't end up getting used without credit to you. They're too pretty not to! :)

Andrea V said...

Those look so festive and delicious!! Very cute gift inspiration :)

Mandy said...

I think these are absolutely adorable! Mine, however, did not turn out so great. I just don't have the same talent :/
I posted a link talking about these cookies in my blog www.wandwinvites.com/blog

Thanks for the inspiration!

Elena said...

I like the red and white mix. And the decoration is fabulous!

Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny said...

How cute are these?! They look so delicious and festive for the holidays! LOVE! :)

Jerri said...

Thanks for linking up with me last week for Friday Favorites. I'm featuring you in this week's special Holly Bloggy Christmas Edition!

Kristin DeSalle said...

I am soooop making these! We have out annual holiday baking this weekend. Thanks for sharing!
Kristin

Lindsay said...

LOVE these :) See them all over pinterest and always think of you xoxo

Susan said...

I remember these from last year! The picture with the milk bottle! Must try.

Char said...

I'm going to try these again this year, didn't do well last year. Thanks!

Modern Day Mummying said...

WOW! What gorgeous colours! Thanks for sharing :) Will be trying them out this week...

Sophie xo

Rose @ Walnut Acre said...

Very cool!!!

PreparedtoEat.com said...

Wow, those are so pretty!

Jutta said...

How very delicious! And so beautiful :-)
Hugs
Jutta

Jutta said...

Ps: Love your blog and am following you back with pleasure! xxx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...